Question of the Month – June
Question: How do I create a list of items to pick from in Excel?
Answer: Drop-down menus can be really useful in Excel spreadsheets as a means of organizing complex information in a user-friendly way. They can also be used to create input forms that limit users to a distinct set of options and ensure that you acquire data that meets your needs.
But how easy is it to create a drop-down menu in Excel?
If you want to make the most of this functionality to create a drop-down menu in Excel, follow the instructions below.
How to Create a Drop-Down Menu in Excel
- Create a full list of the values that will appear in your drop-down menu in a single column, one per cell.
- Click on the cell in which the drop-down menu will appear.
- Activate the Data tab of the Ribbon menu and click on the Data Validation option.
- Select the Settings tab of the Data Validation window, click on the Allow section and select the List option from the drop-down list.
- Click on the Source field, and highlight every entry in the list of values you created in Step 1. The range of values for the drop-down menu will be automatically populated.
- Click OK to confirm.
If you have created your drop-down menu correctly, every one of the values you entered in Step 1 of the process will appear as an option in the drop-down menu. A down arrow will also be displayed on the right-hand side of the data entry field. When the user clicks on the cell, a drop-down menu will appear that contains your pre-determined options.